Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Uploading My Shorts

It has been a sad long time since I have made my own movie. Like a year. And that is just unacceptable for my self-esteem. So, to soften the pain I have decided to at least make my films watchable to all my screaming fans via internet. My approach is just going to be uploading these bad boys on YouTube. I've looked up a few ways to do the uploading, then my editing superior hooked me up with some web sites that basically broke down the best way to get the highest quality image in such a compressed format. This what I found by using Compressor...

What that ends up being best is using the "photo jpeg" codec and sizing it to fit to what the YouTube screen is: 425x318. That helps the quality so YouTube doesn't have to recompress and resize it for you (lowing the quality once again). Just lower the Compression quality yourself, based on how long the piece is, in the Video Settings (it may take a few tries to get a longer piece under 100mb) and be sure to use AAC, mono, 44.100 kHz so that the audio files don't end up taking most of the space - when i think it's the visual quality that matters the most.

Make the Frame Rate 30 FPS, that is the final frame rate of the YouTube format, and to be honest that is as simple as I made all my uploads. Granted there are better ways out there and I'm sure people will look at this blog and be like, "uh, yeah, whatever." But that's what I did for the majority of the shorts I posted for Kontent and for myself. They look alright. And I thought I'd just pass that on.

check this guys page out if you want to learn more from a smarter man
http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/youtube_compressor_gary.html

I read his page to understand what goes on in the YouTube uploading process. I'll have to read it again to be sure it gets into my head, but it was super helpful. Here is the link the Kontents YouTube page: KontentYouTube, and here is the link to mine: Drew's YouTube.

peace out y'all!!

No comments: